JFS MetroWest offers a wide array of meaningful volunteer opportunities.
Our volunteer staff will match your interests and talents to community needs to ensure a gratifying experience.
We have opportunities for mitzvah projects, adult volunteer opportunities, Rachel Coalition volunteer possibilities, and the RSVP Center of Essex & Hudson Counties, which is a comprehensive community service organization catering to individuals 55 and over.
There are many benefits to volunteering with JFS of MetroWest. Volunteers make new friends, learn new skills, and bring joy to many of our JFS clients. JFS also offers special recognition events as a thank you for serving.
Click on the links below to learn more about volunteering with JFS of MetroWest
- Money Management volunteers assist clients with reading mail, filing papers, and paying bills enabling seniors to live independently in their own homes.
- Friendly Visitors meet with older adult clients offering companionship and socialization opportunities.
- Holiday food package volunteers make deliveries to the homes of isolated seniors.
- Listen to Children volunteers are older adults who can mentor a child weekly at Livingston public elementary and middle schools.
- Family Volunteer Opportunities enable parents to participate in service activities with their children throughout the year.
Rachel Coalition provides a continuum of services to help break the cycle of domestic violence. There are numerous volunteer opportunities including community education and awareness about domestic abuse and/or working directly with victims. For more information on Rachel Coalition volunteer opportunities, please call 973-765-9050.
The Fishman Family Court Advocate Volunteer Training Program trains volunteers to assist domestic violence victims as they await their restraining order hearings in Essex County Family Court in Newark. All volunteers must complete a 40-hour training course. For more information and to sign up, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Domestic Violence Response Teams (DVRT)
Provide support, information and referrals at police headquarters and educate victims about their legal rights in obtaining Temporary Restraining Orders. Rachel Coalition in conjunction with the Safe House trains volunteers to assist victims when they call the police to report a domestic violence incident in Essex County. For more information and to sign up, please email email@example.com
Community Education and Awareness
“In Her Shoes” is an interactive community workshop led by volunteer facilitators that simulates a victim’s experience in finding independence from her abuser.
Pro Bono Legal Representation Program
The Rachel Coalition Pro Bono Legal Representation Program trains (family and non-family law) attorneys to represent victims in restraining order hearings. Attorneys participate in a 4 hour training, receive CLE credit, and pro bono “Madden” credit through representation. Contact 973-637-1778 for more information or click here to sign up.
RSVP Center of Essex & Hudson Counties (For individuals 55+)
Are you 55+ and looking for meaningful volunteer work?
The RSVP Center of Essex and Hudson Counties mobilizes individuals age 55 and over to give back to their communities through volunteer service. Sponsored by JFS of MetroWest, it is funded by the Corporation for National and Community Services, a federal agency.
RSVP provides a single location where volunteers can review a range of local volunteer opportunities. A trained Volunteer Coordinator assists volunteers to ensure that they are placed in a position that matches their skills, desired time commitment and interests.
Numerous volunteer opportunities are available, each different, requiring different skills, levels of commitment, and training. Click Here for a list of agencies seeking volunteers. For Hudson County opportunities, please click here. Click here to apply to be a volunteer.
Benefits of volunteering with RSVP:
- Make new friends and learn new skills while participating in meaningful volunteer opportunities.
- Participate in free recognition events as a thank you for your services.
- Volunteers receive free supplemental accident, liability, and automobile insurance while traveling to and from assignments.
- Attend an annual volunteer recognition luncheon.
Click here to read the latest RSVP newsletter.
Next Generation @ JFS MetroWest
MISSION: Guided by the mission and virtues of JFS, Next Generation provides individuals and families with opportunities to become ambassadors and leaders of Jewish Family Service of MetroWest NJ, in support of a healthy community, through education, social and volunteer activities.
VISION: Our peers in the MetroWest community will be aware of, and eager to become involved with, engaged by and supported through the Next Generation of Jewish Family Service of MetroWest NJ.
If you are interested in getting involved with Next Generation@JFS MetroWest or would like to attend one of our upcoming events, please contact Kimberly Colchamiro at 973-765-9050 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Committee Co-chairs- Rachel Braverman and Elana Wilf Tanzman
Jordana Horn Gordon
As part of its community outreach efforts, Next Generation at JFS MetroWest has:
- Coordinated with Congregation B’nai Jeshurun of Short Hill’s Tot Shabbat program
- Made Purim baskets for JFS older adult clients
- Participated in Good Deeds Day making Passover packages
- Visited with Holocaust Survivors through the JFS MetroWest Café Europa program
- Went apple picking and made Rosh Hashana apple and honey packages for older adult clients of JFS MetroWest
- Coming soon!